Wednesday 22 February 2017

The Importance of Aerobic Activities for a Healthy Lifestyle




It will be a disservice for me to do this blog and not highlight one of my deepest passions, which is aerobics. I've been involved with this activity for most of my life, it never gets old or boring it's always fresh and keeps me interested. Yes , I love the pump!!! In addition, it's extremely therapeutic believe me ! If you're stressed , attend a class give it your all and you'll feel so rejuvenated after. I don't like missing a class if I do there must be some sort of emergency! And of course, these days I'm studying so that's a valid reason for me to miss a session or two. If I'm looking for a gym the utmost criteria is the aerobics classes  if there is none , I can't go to that gym, not at all!! I will rather take a run up Chancellor! 



What makes a class good for me is;
  • The instructor
  • The music 
  • The routines 
  • Structure 
  • Intensity 
  • Energy 


What is Aerobic Exercise ?

Simply put, aerobic exercise is also known as cardio exercise. This is because it works out your cardiovascular system, that being your heart and lungs. This kind of exercise includes things like dance,spinning, jogging, running ,swimming and other such activities.

Benefits of Aerobics:


  • Mental Benefits- One of the things that you may not have known about aerobic exercise is that it can greatly affect your mental health. Regular exercise can actually be quite an effective tool when it comes to curing anxiety or depression. Studies have shown that this has something to do with a phenomenon that is call the runner’s high. The runner’s high is a feeling of elation and happiness that people get after having exercised for a prolonged period of time. It is shown that aerobic exercise causes the brain to release chemicals called dopamine. Dopamine plus a few other brain chemicals are feel-happy chemicals.

  • Controlling your weight-  It is shown that aerobic exercise is one of the most effective ways of controlling your weight. In fact, it may be the very best way to lose weight. daily aerobic exercise at a slightly increased heart rate or energy exertion level, for a period of 30 to 60 minutes per day, will burn a significant amount of calories.
  • It can help reduce high blood pressure- High blood pressure is most often caused by a weak heart. A weak heart has to pump and work much harder to deliver the same amount of blood around your body when compared to a stronger heart. Over time aerobic exercise will strengthen your heart. After all the heart is a muscle, therefore doing aerobic activities will train that muscle. Just like with any other muscle, the more you train it, the stronger it becomes.
  • Use oxygen more efficiently -Doing aerobic exercise on a daily basis will help your body increase its efficiency in terms of oxygen use, thus making your heart and lungs work less.
  • Increases Your Metabolism- The next reason as to why you should do aerobic workouts on a daily basis is because it will help to increase your metabolism or metabolic rate.
  • Strengthens your Immune System-It is shown that regular aerobic exercise helps to reduce the risk of contracting viral illnesses like the flu, plus it helps to reduce bacterial infections as well.
  • Lower the Risk of Breast Cancer- A really great thing about aerobic exercise that you may not have known about is that it can reduce the risk of developing breast cancer. Women who are at a high risk of developing breast cancer usually have a high level of estrogen-sensitive tissue in the breast.
  • Fighting Diabetes -Regular exercise helps keep you mobile and helps your body process sugars better, thus reducing the need for insulin or other diabetes medication.

I would love to know what type of cardio activities you guys enjoy!!!


Check out this video : 



6 comments:

  1. I do miss doing Aerobics. It was great to have the class during lunch hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fave cardio exercise will have to be jogging/running. This year I will run in my first 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's excellent Shany!!! I need to start running as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that aerobics is my preffered exercise

    ReplyDelete