Monday 6 March 2017

The Importance of Sleep for a Healthy Lifestyle



Most of us would have heard sometime in our lives that we need 8 hours of sleep. I for one took this very serious , honestly I enjoyed sleeping and I took getting my rest as a matter of importance. Up until I got pregnant with Zachary ,for that entire 9 months or so I did not get a good nights rest . This was due to complications in my pregnancy. Of course ,when baby came that was another story which we are all so familiar with. Zach was a good baby after three months he slept through the entire night but that didn't help me because I was paranoid and got up every 2 hours to check on him!! This caused my sleep pattern to change drastically. In 2016, I had a bright idea to go back to school and get my MBA , being a mother of two , a wife, a house to run and a full time job the only time I could get some studies in is at nights . There were nights when I was up for hours heading to bed after 3 sometimes 4 am , this was imperative . Even when the semester ended it was difficult to get to bed at a decent hour , I have been made a conscious decision to go to bed at 11pm for the latest.  That is yet to be accomplished!!

Here are some tips and benefits of a good night's rest;

Lets start with the Sleep Cycle :


Reasons why we require a good night's sleep:



  • Poor Sleep Can Make You Gain Weight - Poor sleep is strongly linked to weight gain
  • Good Sleepers tend To Eat Fewer Calories - Studies show that sleep deprived individuals have a bigger appetite and tend to eat more calories 
  • A Good Night Sleep Can Improve Concentration and Productivity- Sleep is important for various aspects of brain function.This includes cognition, concentration, productivity and performance.In a study on basketball players, longer sleep was shown to significantly improve speed, accuracy, reaction times, and mental wellbeing . Less sleep duration has also been associated with poor exercise performance and functional limitation in elderly women.
  • Poor Sleepers Have a Greater Risk of Heart Disease and Stroke- A review of 15 studies found that short sleepers are at far greater risk of heart disease or stroke than those who sleep 7 to 8 hours per night
  • Experimental sleep restriction affects blood sugar and reduces insulin sensitivity .In a study of healthy young men, restricting sleep to 4 hours per night for 6 nights in a row caused symptoms of pre-diabetes
  • Mental health issues, such as depression, are strongly linked to poor sleep quality and sleeping disorders
  • Even a small loss of sleep has been shown to impair immune function.One large 2-week study monitored the development of the common cold after giving people nasal drops with the virus that causes colds
  • Sleep can have a major effect on inflammation in the body.In fact, sleep loss is known to activate undesirable markers of inflammation and cell damage.


Tips for Sleeping:


  • Stick to a sleep schedule
  • Pay attention to what you eat and drink close to bed time 
  • Create a bedtime ritual - relaxing techniques
  • Get comfortable - create a room that is ideal for sleeping 
  • Limit day time naps 
  • Include physical activities in your daily routine 
  • Manage stress.   
I hope this information helps us get some Zzzzzzzz..

10 comments:

  1. Emily this was an eye opener, studying, working and managing a home is really stressful. Sometimes we feel like if there is not enough hours in the day. I love my rest time. Will look in developing a sleep pattern to ensure a restful night. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mahaila we need to,it's important for our health.

      Delete
  2. I have to say, I appreciate a good sleep much more now that im older. A good sleep when it's raining outside is quite therapeutic, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog Emmy. Right now I wish I could sleep for 16 hours a day! Pan life now haunting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, feel free to read the others!!!

      Delete
  4. Since I've been in secondary I have had issues of not being able to fall asleep. I've tried everything...every sleeping tablet and even checked a neurologist for help! I've come to the conclusion that sleep doesn't like me! I remembered when I found out I was pregnant the doctor told me that I have to come off all medication. I was devasted because I was thinking how would I be able to rest whilst pregnant! Well... thank God for Emmanuel because I didn't realized how tiring pregnancy was! So I was finally sleeping of course until he came along lol. However, like you Nadia, I am a mother, wife, employee and student! My sleeping problems are back! I'm really not too sure what to do as I do not want to be taking any medication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take the meds, try with the tips I know it's not much, I'll see what additional information is out there, so that I can share it with you .

      Delete
  5. Very informative. Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that it was beneficial for you.

      Delete