Monday 13 February 2017

The Importance of Strength Training for Women


I have been a involved in some sort of exercise for all of adult life. I am obsessed with any aerobic activity (bordering addicted)  . I enjoy going to the gym and doing a high impact aerobic class! Anyone who knows me gets that! I get so annoyed if I go to the gym and a class is canceled and I am forced to go out on the floor and do  strength training !!!  HATE is too much of a strong word but I totally dislike it , in my opinion its boring  and tedious!!


As a practical person I needed to get some valid information to persuade me to leave the aerobic class and get out on the floor.

Here's what I've learnt:

  • Strength training is a key component of overall health and fitness and it provides an important balance to aerobic workouts.

  • Muscle mass diminishes with age. You can counteract this loss through strength training. The percentage of fat on your body increases as you get older if you don’t do anything to replace the lean muscle you lose. Strength training helps preserve and enhance your muscle mass, regardless of your age.

  • A regular strength training program helps you increase lean body mass and burn calories more efficiently, which can result in healthy weight loss.

  • Because of hormonal changes that women experience as they get older, they naturally lose bone density, putting them at increased risk for developing osteoporosis. Routinely lifting weights slows bone deterioration and can help your bones grow stronger, help you maintain strength, and reduce your chance of developing — or slow the effects of — osteoporosis.

  • When you build muscle, you help protect your joints from injury and increase your balance and coordination. This becomes increasingly important to help you maintain your independence as you age.
Check out this video :












15 comments:

  1. Those weights are so intimidating! But after watching the video, I think I will try it out to strengthen my back muscles for better posture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog. I have to focus on strength training as was not aware that with age we lose bone density. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Nadia, it's good to hear you are hitting the weight-training aspect in fitness now. Always love the high energy you bring when doing my aerobics classes.

    Making your work out Fun.

    This works for most of my clients that dislikes weight training: Making working out feel less like, well, work, is pretty simple if you implement a few strategies. I make sure I never hit the gym without - some music. In addition to motivating to get into the zone, listening to music keeps entertained. You can easily get lost in some of your favorite songs, distracting you from the hard work you're doing. Think about it - if pumping some tunes can make a person do an one hour aerobics. Also changing up the programs so boredom will not step in. Track Your Progress nothing can be more satisfying than success. While taking progress pictures or writing down, it can be rewarding when you watch your body transform.

    Follow me on fb
    Get Personal Diane Malchan
    Certified Trainer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information D... good stuff!!

      Delete
  4. https://www.facebook.com/Get-Personal-Diane-Malchan-all-round-Certified-Fitness-Instructor-423251967834224/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting stuff...I will share with my peeps

    ReplyDelete


  6. 10 Tips to Increase your Workout and Stay Motivated:

    1- Think about the benefits
    2- Make friends at the gym
    3- Reward your efforts with a nice out-fit
    4- Take it outdoors
    5- Variety training helps
    6- Find a gym buddy
    7- Get a personal trainer
    8- Work with a nutritionist
    9- Start an exercisge contest
    10- Make it fun

    Get Personal Diane Malchan
    All-round-Certified-Trainer

    ReplyDelete
  7. My fear of weighting training for females is having that masculine look. I will like some feedback on this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mahaila , No you won't trust me once you work with an instructor you'll be fine Diane Malchan is an excellent trainer you can follow her on FB send her a message she will be happy to put your mind at ease.

      https://www.facebook.com/Get-Personal-Diane-Malchan-all-round-Certified-Fitness-Instructor-423251967834224/

      Delete